I remember last time I checked, there are literally millions of types of mattresses available in the market. With so many different combinations to choose from, we all get super confused about what to buy. This choice gets even more intense when we realize how expensive mattresses are these days. And even if you manage to buy one, the ultimatums of changing your mattress won’t let you survive in peace. But today I will solve this mystery for you so that you can make an informed decision about changing your mattress.
The normally recommended time of changing a mattress
There are a lot of theories about how often should you replace your mattress. Most of the researches made in this field suggest that a normal mattress’s life span is around 7 to 10 months. The exact time depends upon the quality of manufacturing. On average 8 years is the recommended duration for keeping a mattress. But there is no hard and fast rule that your mattress may not need changing before or after this set time limit. Here I will tell you a few reasons why your mattress needs replacing. Here they are.
It is older than 10 years
Okay! We understand that you bought a great mattress after doing thorough research but this doesn’t mean that it will last forever. Many companies use very strong and durable materials to make their mattresses but still, they come with a life span too. If it is older than 10 years, you might need to replace the mattress now.
Some mattresses are too saggy to properly support your body and align your backbone. Noticing a dent on your mattress should alarm you even at first glance. This usually happens after you have used your mattress long enough that it doesn’t hold a proper shape anymore. Sleeping on a saggy mattress without the proper alignment of the spine can make your body and backache during the next day. Wondering why you feel tired all the time and when you wake up? Maybe you need to replace your mattress soon.
Now, this sounds pretty weird. Why would someone sleep on an uncomfortable mattress? Well, there are a lot of people who do. Not because their mattress is necessarily old, but because their mattress simply doesn’t go with their body needs. And the biggest hurdle here is to understand that your mattress is uncomfortable.
Many people just adjust and keep on sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress. This can affect their health and daily life very badly. The first thing that should alarm you is a comfortable sleep somewhere other than your home. If you find someone else’s bed more comfortable than yours, that is a sign that your bed doesn’t suit you and needs replacing.
Waking up tired, still and sore:
We often blame ourselves for not being able to function properly. I remember how I used to think of myself as a lazy person until I realized that there is nothing wrong with me, but my mattress. A bad or worn our mattress can make you stiff and sore every morning that you will start feeling too lazy to function and tired all the time. Do yourself a favor and replace your mattress soon.
Sudden Worsening of allergies and Asthma:
If you have some allergies or asthma and you have suddenly started feeling that it has gotten worse without any understandable reason, maybe this is happening because of your mattress. Our mattresses are hoarders of bacteria and many other harmful agents that can make allergies go worse. The best way to deal with this situation is the replacement of your mattress.
Tips to increase the lifespan of your mattress
Now that you know when your mattress needs replacing, you can try to significantly increase its life with some simple tips and tricks. Here are a few of the smart ones.
- Use a mattress cover to save your mattress from dirt and other contaminants. We might not notice this but your beg stores all the dust and dead skin cells from your body. If you do not use a cover or do not clean it regularly, you will contaminate your mattress and reduce its lifespan significantly. Little changes can save you from a lot of trouble.
- Thoroughly clean your bed once a week or more if needed. You can’t stop dirt from coming in, but you can always keep it away by taking precautions and trying to keep your bed as clean as possible.
- Use a mattress pad on the top of your mattress. You cannot prevent small accidents like spilling from happening. Even these little mistakes can cost you a lot by reducing the time that your mattress will stay safe to use. A mattress pad will stop these materials from absorbing in your bed and give you the sense of security that you need.
- Make sure to flip your mattress after every few months to enhance its quality and lifespan. Flipping is the most important part that most people don’t care about. Not only it makes your mattress better to sleep on, but also it prevents any permanent dents on it.
- Watch out for bed bugs and try to keep your bed safe from any infection. Getting your house sprayed could be a witty way to prevent these little monsters from running your mattress.
Keeping in mind all the great tips you can significantly boost the lifespan of your mattress, but never keep on using it if you see any sign that suggests replacing it. Sleep is the most important part of your day; anything that disrupts your sleep or makes it better automatically takes an important place in your life. These little factors can have a huge impact on your day to day activities as well. You should never let anything spoil your perfect sleep at all. And when the time comes, replace your mattress for a better life.